It matters that we live lives that make clear our convictions - in fact it is impossible to live a day without making them clear. With little thinking even I can realize that what you care about most will at least leak out and even be shot out from the water cannon of your speaking and doing no matter how hard you try to contain it. People will see who you are and what you've decided life is about without a personal publicity campaign.
The question that matters most to me today is: How often do I pick fights and create battle lines in order that I define and clarify my own convictions. Not the battles that naturally come up because my core beliefs demand responses, but those times when I am the moral bully looking for a theological weakling. I wonder how much blood I have shed over the years being a zealot in order to show ME what I believe.
There are plenty of natural opportunities to share the crumbs of truth that I have gathered over the years and I find myself today grieving the error of mixed signals I've sent. To be loving is to engage the truth of the matter in which you find yourself, in the most gentle way possible -without compromising what God requires of you. Sometimes the sword must be drawn, but only after directed words of encouragement repeatedly fail. My truth is only bigger than your truth when it allows you the ability to accept it directly from the its source.Dave
9/2/08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment