9/17/08

"Speak," fido," speak!"

It matters that I learn how to speak up at work. There are a variety of situations in which I can find myself suddenly, or over time, trying to cover or excuse by not speaking up about them. I have found that my instincts and first responses are not always the best ones. By not barking when the workload becomes overwhelming, I recently found myself being one sled dog dragging an ever increasing load through the snow. Thinking I should just keep sweating it out up the hills, and running ahead down the slopes, my thoughts flipped between "I'm such a good dog, look what I can do," to "faster, faster, so I don't get plowed over!"

Barking is not just for growling, snarling, angry worker dogs, it can be the sweet sound from well mannered and loyal friends. A sound that healthy owner-employers know keeps them out of graver danger.

Instead of tuning up my voice each morning with "mi, mi, mi, mi, mi...," I think it is time I rehearse a bark that I can live with. One that is loud enough to protect the boss (and me), but not scare myself into believing I am a "junkyard employee."

So, speak up Dave, speak!

No comments: